We were invited to an event by the youth wing of the Africa Centre. The Africa Centre is more than a resource centre. Their website describes them as the Council for the Advancement of African Canadians in Alberta. They are meant to be the first point of contact for all Africans it seems, but this is the first time we are going on their website. Something great is happening at the Africa Centre and it is absolutely exciting to write about it.
The Africa Centre website is colourful, informative and a pleasant surprise. Their website boasts of having accomplished 200+ projects already in 2019.
Their objectives are as follows:
- To promote early learning to African-Canadian families and offer educational opportunities to pre-school children.
- To provide educational opportunities and support to African-Canadian school-aged children to help them succeed in the Canadian school system.
- To educate and empower African-Canadian women, youth, seniors and others to help them integrate into Canadian society.
- To educate and increase the Canadian public’s understanding of and appreciation for African culture.
- To educate African-Canadians about the Canadian political process in order to encourage respect for and participation in the democratic process in Canada.
Recently, they have been busy with different projects. Some of them are: the Dialogue of Communities on racism and discrimination, Anti-Racism Prevention, Rotary Early Learning and Childcare Centre, Crime Prevention-with a launch on the 2nd of June, community scholarships and much more
The Youths were engaged, respectful and hard working. Their leaders are featured in the interview below. They are the future. YEG- thecomeup had in excess of 30 young people gathered together to pack backpacks for Syrian families in Edmonton. Each of the bag pack had a soap, toothpaste and toothbrush, a snack bar and a water bottle. The exercise was a collaboration with Alberta PIRG, Somali Canadian Women and Children Association, YESS and Islamic Family and Social Services Association -IFSSA